Catherine McAuley is currently working through details of the operation of the canteen. Guiding principles include:
- Providing a diverse range of foods, including the selection of fresh and healthy food choices
- Providing an efficient and effective school canteen to meet the needs of the community
- Keeping prices at an affordable level – the canteen will be a not-for-profit service made possible due to voluntary help from parents, friends and relatives of students.
The canteen will follow the NSW Healthy School Canteen Strategy. This government initiative labels three groups of foods:
- Red – Occasional. Do not serve these foods more than twice each term.
- Amber – Select Carefully. These foods are not to dominate the menu.
- Green – Fill the menu with these foods.